Re: final computer question (heh)

To: scott.hall@comcast.net
Subject: Re: final computer question (heh)
From: "Trevor Boicey" <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 22:59:59 -0400 (EDT)
> got the new computer.  stupid question:
> the rj45 jack does not "click" into place in the computer's 10/100/1000
> port.  it's working (I'm surfing), but the cable isn't secured.  that
> makes me think it's the wrong kind of cable.  are there different kinds or
> jacks or do different cards require them?  fwiw, it's the same cable I
> used on the last machine, the only difference I can think of is that the
> new card is 10/100/1000 (gigabit ethernet?) vs. the old one's 10/100.
> any idea?
> and thanks for all the advice over the past few weeks.

  They all use the same jack.

  Examine the cable. See if the little click arm is damaged, make sure it
still has some spring tension.

  Also, examine the jack. The most common failure is that somebody trips
over the corner and pulls it out, breaking the little plastic "hook"
that grabs the spring arm. If you compare it to a working one you'll
immediately see the little piece of plastic that goes across the little
slot.

  If the little snap is broken you can still use the thing but it's a pain
because you have to tape it up solidly or it'll just keep working it's
way out.