Re: Shop breaker box question

To: Mark Sansouci <msansouc@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Shop breaker box question
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 22:11:27 -0400
Mark Sansouci wrote:
> My problem?  When I put in my breakers (singles, 20A for the
> outlets, 15A for lights)  only every other slot in the panel worked.  That is,
> the bottom right slot had power, the one above it none, the next had power,
> the one above that dead, etc.
>
> What do I not understand about this?  Does this make any sense?   Thanks in
> advance....

   The phases alternate like that. So you have 220v coming in on two
phases, and a neutral. The 110v are made from one phase to neutral in
the panel.

   One of your incoming phases isn't working in the panel. It will be
connected at the top of the panel, where the "master breaker" is.

   Alternatively, if this panel is fed from a subpanel in your house, it
could be faulty there.

   That's very scary actually. Be careful.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.