Re: Shop breaker box question

To: Mark Sansouci <msansouc@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Shop breaker box question
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 22:25:21 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Mark Sansouci wrote:
> breakers.  My problem?  When I put in my breakers (singles, 20A for the
> outlets, 15A for lights)  only every other slot in the panel worked.
> That is, the bottom right slot had power, the one above it none, the
> next had power, the one above that dead, etc.
>
> What do I not understand about this?  Does this make any sense?  Thanks
> in advance....

I'm 100% not an electrician.  Try hard not to electrocute yourself because
I screwed up something I'm telling you.  Also, the incoming feed wires to
the box are always hot no matter where the main breaker is, unless you're
able to shut them off prior to their arrival at the top of your panel.

That said, sounds like your panel is setup for 220vac and is only wired to
110vac.  Normally the breakers alternate as you go up/down the stack, one
on one phase, one on the other, etc.

Check your incoming feed wire to the box.  You should have three... One to
each hot lug in the box, one to the neutral/ground.  If you _do_ have all
three, check for voltage between them all... You should have 110vac
between either hot lug and the neutral, and 220vac between the two hot
lugs.

My guess is that one of your hot lugs is either missing or is wired to the
neutral in the feed box.

Again, remember that the incoming wires are always hot, no matter what the
position of the main breaker.

Mark