Re: Crack Inspection in Aluminum

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Crack Inspection in Aluminum
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:29:04 -0400
At 12:56 PM 8/23/2005, you wrote:
>Zyglo. Or generically known as dye-penetrant process. There are lots
>of variants.

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly!

The Zyglo is actually made by Magnaflux.  The welding supply place I
normally go has a basic kit (not sure of the brand) for only $14, so
I'll be getting that this afternoon.

>Whether or not the part is repairable will depend upon the
>alloy.  If there's any magnesium in the case (common with VWs, for
>example), you'll be lucky to find anyone willing to work on it

Wow, didn't know they used that in alloys.  Other guys have TIG'ed
these, either to repair or strengthen them, and I haven't heard of
any burning up.

I have gotten lots of conflicting stories on how to do it.  Some say
you have to disassemble the whole tranny, pre-heat the casting, TIG,
yada, yada....   Others claim to have done it assembled;  even still
in the car.   It's not a race car or airplane, so I'd like to keep it
as easy as possible!

Thanks Again,
     -Wayne