Harbor Freight borescope

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Harbor Freight borescope
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:37:53 -0500
Does anyone have any experience with any of the Harbor Freight borescopes?
I'm going to look at a couple of planes next week and one of them might be a
real bargain except it hasn't been flown much since restoration in 1992 - I
really need to see inside the cylinders to tell if they're corroded.

Horrible Freight has a 12" straight scope at about $160, a 20" fiber optic one
for $250, and a 36" one for $300.  The larger one may not have the same
resolution - and it doesn't have the as large of a viewing angle.

Everything else I've seen seems to be in the $1000 and up (waaaay up) range.

Having just pretty well finished a 5-year makeover of the first floor of my
135-year-old house, I sure wish I'd had a borescope a few times for those
projects too - fishing conduit, etc.

Thanks !
Karl