RE: very small utility trailer

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: very small utility trailer
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 22:05:47 -0700
> Are the nuts all Nylocs?

Nope, conventional nuts with split lockwashers.  Except for the big hand nut
that clamps the folding part of the tongue to the non-folding part, which has
some sort of metal locking insert in it (and has to be removed anyway to fold
the trailer).

>  If not, you could substitute Nylocs when
> you assemble it.

True, but I doubt that would stop the wood from shrinking <G>

I don't think any of the nuts were backing off, there was just some "settling
in".  I don't treat it gently and after all, I'm only talking about once in 10
years tightening things up.  I do the same thing on my cars every 10 years or
so.

Several people have mentioned wheel size ... I once towed a very overloaded boat
trailer 2000 miles at freeway speeds, on a pair of very old 8" trailer tires,
only had one flat.  The box and trailer alone probably weighed what the tires
were rated at, let alone the piano and other furniture inside the box.  I note
that the HF link the OP supplied has 12" wheels on it, IMO those should do fine
if you stick within the rated load of the trailer.

Randall