Re: Another electrical mystery now DSL

To: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: Another electrical mystery now DSL
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 00:31:51 -0500
On 10/20/05, David C. <cavanadd@verizon.net> wrote:
>ay.
>
> Now my DSL is flaky.  I have a relatively new DSL modem, a wireless Westel
> Versa Link W327 that came with Nextel's do-it-yourself kit.  I have it
> hardwired to the main computer and am running the laptop wireless.  The
> problem is when I come home from work and try to log on to my email, Eudora
> tells me it can't find the mail server.  I can log onto the web, but it
> seems to take longer than it should for my home page (Google) to open.  If
> I do a cold boot and shut the modem off then I can usually get the mail
> server to come up, but today and yesterday I had to log onto the web before
> the email could find the server.  Strange.  I suspect it's the cheap DSL
> modem Verizon included with the package; should I just replace it with
> another one?  Suggestions?

If you can talk to the 'net at all, it's unlikely it's the modem
physically, though the Westels do usually have a built in (crappy)
firewall that could have problems.  The error message "Eudora tells me
it can't find the mail server" suggests a DNS problem, as does the
taking a long time to find google.  Make sure you've got the DNS setup
the way they tell you to do so.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com