electric baseboard heater repair

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: electric baseboard heater repair
From: David Scheidt <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 21:25:36 -0500
We've got an electric baseboard heater that doesn't work.  It's got a
unit mounted thermostat, which seems to work, as the resistance goes
from infinite to zero at some point as you turn the knob.  It's then
got a thermal overload protector thingee, which has a resistance of
120 Ohms, which seems way high.  Then there's the heating element
itself, which has a resistance of less than one Ohm, which seems
awfully low.  (I'd expect it to be about 120ish Ohms, given the 1000
watt rating and 240 wall current. )  I'd expect the thermal cutout to
be very low resistance, unless it's tripped, in which case I'd think
it would be open.  And I don't see how a heating element can have
almost no resistance.

What's going on?

--
David Scheidt