Re: Fusable links

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fusable links
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:25:54 -0500

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

At 06:50 PM 11/4/2005 -0500, John T. Blair wrote:

>3.  Why are they soldered in line?  Can you crimp and solder a connector on
>    to the ends of the link, so that if it blows, you don't have to cut
>    the wire apart?  Mearly unplug the link, crimp on connectors and plug
>    back into the existing wire and connectors.

I think the rationale is that it's unlikely the fusible link will ever blow
during the lifetime of the car.  If it were not soldered in,
there would be a chance of a bad connection developing at
some point, and the link would end up causing more problems
that it solves.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit