RE: Fusable links

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fusable links
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 16:53:42 -0800

shop-talk supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
http://fatchancegarage.com

> 1.  I know they come in different colors for the different sizes.

I may be wrong, but I believe color is not a reliable indicator of size.
For example, at
http://www.statewire.com/pdfs/fuse_products/B21.pdf
you can see that green might be either 14 or 18 AWG, while red might be
either 14 or 16 AWG.

>  But I can't find anything to say how the size equates to the
> current limiting.
>     Ie. a Black - 12 gauge.  What is its current rating?

They aren't normally rated by current.  The rule of thumb is to use a
fusible link size that is 4 AWG numbers below the size of the wire you are
protecting.

> 2.  Can you replace a fusable link with a fuse?

Sure.

> 3.  Why are they soldered in line?

The ones I have seen are crimped, not soldered.  I don't think ordinary
solder will stick to the wire used in at least some fusible links.

>  Can you crimp and solder a
> connector on
>     to the ends of the link, so that if it blows, you don't have to cut
>     the wire apart?

I believe so, in fact some of them come with a ring terminal already on one
end.  But as I see it, fusible links are a "last ditch" protection ... If
you expect it to blow, you should probably use a fuse instead.

Randall