Re: Odd tire sizes, was: Where to buy '79 Kubota tractor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Odd tire sizes, was: Where to buy '79 Kubota tractor
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:58:44 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

You know, sometimes I'm quite an idiot.

I forgot that along with the tractor my dad, who's fairly anal about this
kinda thing, gave me some neat little manuals for it as well...

:-)

Sure enough, the 2wd L185 came with turf tires.  The rear is a 13.6-16 and
looks to be the same height (in the pictures in the manual) as the rear
(4wd) L185DT Ag tires.  I'd feel a little better about that if I could get
actual dimensions, but with the tire size in hand a tire dealer can
probably track that down for me as well as tell me what width wheel I
probably want (I'm guessing something around 13" wide?).

However, the fronts are a different kettle of fish.  The 2wd Turf tire for
the front is a 20x8.0-x10 (common lawn tractor size I think), but its
_much_ smaller in diameter than the Ag tire that came on the L185DT.  So
the challenge will be to figure out if I can find a matching turf tire &
wheel that'll have the same diameter as the Ag tire on there now.

Anyway, if anyone sees anything like this come across their way, please
let me know!  :-)

And Thanks!

Mark