Re: Welding Book

To: Shop-Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Welding Book
From: <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:44:45 -0500
> From: Paul Parkanzky <parkanz1@msu.edu>
>

>       My FIL got me a Victor portable oxy-acetylene outfit for Christmas
> this year.  A very cool gift.

Paul,

Way cool!

>... I thought that it would be  fun to learn to weld with
>gas.  So is there a favorite book out there for me to buy
>to pick up the basics?  I don't have time to take a
> class, or I would.

That a real shame.  The classes are great. If for nothing
else, the are worth the cost in consumables.  I just
finished taking a MIG class at the local community college.
The gas, wire, and metal we went through was unbelieveable!
I've had and been using my MIG welder for about 5 yrs now.
But the class was still worth it!

Not to mention, it's 1/2 an art form.  While you can read
the basics, there's nothing like practice and someone
looking over you shoulder to correct you.

>And really, I'd be more likely to use a stick welder or a
>MIG to actually weld when it counts.  But I think gas
> welding would be a good arrow to add to my quiver.

It depends on what you're trying to weld.  Some things are
better done with MIG others with gas.

John