Re: Any amateur locksmiths?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Any amateur locksmiths?
From: "Vincent Marshall" <vlm@te-motorworks.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:33:41 -0500 (EST)
I've migrated over here from the Triumph list.  Hello all,

[snip]
> Anyway, for some of the locks I don't have duplicate keys.  So I need
> to remove the locks some other way.  The easy ones, the basic padlocks,
> I have keys for those, wouldn't you know.  It is the higher security disc
> type locks that I can't open.

This may be overkill when you can cut the locks, but FWIW:
http://www.capricorn.org/~akira/home/lockpick/

> Anyone know if I can just drive up with my gasoline powered compressor and
> a die grinder with a cut off wheel and just cut the disc locks off?
> Difficult
> or piece of cake?

I have never tried on a disc lock, but I recently cut apart a Krypto
U-Lock with a cutoff wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder.  It took about 6
seconds.  Keeping the lock from chattering around was the only real trick.
 Dont' know how that'll transfer to the disc locks, if what I'm picturing
is correct - alot of body and relatively little shackle?

-Vin

--
T.E. Motorworks, Inc.
Post Industrial Laboratory