Re: Need a weatherproof stair landing height increaser

To: Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: Need a weatherproof stair landing height increaser
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:58:25 -0600
Jim,

You should be able to pour a 1" cap on top of and around the pad you
already have. Set a new form about 1~2" out from the current slab, and
2" higher. Use a bonding agent and drill some holes for rebar stubs into
the old slab, including on the sides of the old slab. That will get the
top of the slab where you want it.

Next, cut 1" off the bottom of the stringers so they sit on top of the
new slab. Don't set them into the cap, the pockets they would sit in
will hold water and cause rot to the stringers and freeze damage to the
slab. (This is based on the stair treads being horizontal when the
stringers are sitting on top of the current slab. If they are not level,
decide what you need to do to get them level and the bottom step rise
equal to the rest of the rises.)

I can walk you through this off line if you like.

Good luck.

Peace,
Pat

--
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --