Re: Removing oil stains from concrete

To: "Eugene D Abbondelo" <eabb@loc.gov>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Removing oil stains from concrete
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:56:32 -0800
At 05:48 PM 3/14/2006 -0500, Eugene D Abbondelo wrote:
>I remember the topic of removing oil stains from concrete has come up
>before, but I'm afraid I didn't pay much attention, but because of some
>recent "accidents", the driveway is really looking bad, and the wife has
>started to complain. So I have a mixture of really old (2+ years) stains
>and some new ones.
>
>I've tried over the counter remedies from the home stores, but nothing
>seems to work.  Is there some heavy-duty, super-duper cleaner that anyone
>can recommend that works pretty well?

I have had good luck with powdered trisodium phosphate, wet the stains, put
the TSP on the stain, scrub in well, let soak a while and rinse.  I've also
used good old fashioned oven cleaner.   I also use Simple Green full
strength on my shop floor to clean up newer oil stains, also full strength,
scrub, let sit and rinse.

Dave C