Re: wire pull info

To: "john matthews" <john__matthews@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: wire pull info
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:03:37 -0600
NEC allows (4) #4 conductors with THHN insulation in a 1" thinwall conduit -
I presume is that you'll use THHN as it's the most commonly available.  (2)
90 degree bends is allowable - the maximum is a total of 360 degrees of bend
in one pull.

To make it easier - if the #10 conductor is a ground - use bare wire for
that one.

Any electrical supply (or Home Dipstick) will have Ideal or other brands of
wire pulling compound as mentioned previously.  It's sloppy but will
definitely make the pull easier.  Follow the previous advice for using the
fish tape and try to get pulling compound through the conduit before
pulling, and then put a big clot of it ahead of the wires as you introduce
them into the conduit.  Make sure to guard the wire as it goes into the
conduit to avoid chafing the insulation  as it goes in - a helper will be
almost mandatory unless you don't mind running back and forth from end to
end as you pull every few inches of wire.

Karl