RE: Light-duty oxy-gas setup?

To: "Shop-Talk List" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Light-duty oxy-gas setup?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 14:51:24 -0800
> I have seen a Bernz-O-Matic MAPP/Oxygen set for $49.95
> that uses disposable oxygen and gas cylinders. Has
> anyone tried one of these?

I think I paid more like $35 for mine, on sale at Home Despot.  Didn't have
as many accessories as the more expensive set, but I've already got lighters
and goggles and solder and so on.

> Would I find it pathetic?

I didn't expect much from mine, but was pleasantly surprised.  Used it to
braze up a leak in an air compressor tank and it worked very well.  The
bigger flame made it easy to get the whole area up to brazing temp without
getting it hot enough to melt the base material (which was my excuse for not
wanting to use the OA set).  That's probably not an attribute you would want
when setting rivets, though.

> How long do those 1 CF disposable oxygen cylinders (at
> $9 each) last?

Sorry, I don't know.  Haven't emptied my first one yet (but I've only done
the one repair with it).

> I could also get the $239.99 HF mini-oxy-acetylene
> setup, I guess.  It has a 10 cf acetylene cylinder and
> a 20 cf oxy cylinder. Is it any good?  How much might
> it cost to fill those cylinders?

It's been too long since I had my little OA set filled (which ISTR is 7/15
cf instead of 10/20), but the others are right that it costs a significant
fraction of what much bigger cylinders cost.  OTOH I used to crawl around in
attics with my "aircraft" OA tanks, which is much harder to do with a 60/125
set.

> Any advice would be welcome!

I'm happy with mine, even though I already own a small OA set.

Randall