Re: Sears powder coat?

To: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sears powder coat?
From: Mike Rambour <mikey@b2systems.com>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 10:12:20 -0700
>setup of some kind.  The Sears one looks pretty cheezy, has anyone used it?
>Or should I go with the Harbor Freight unit for half the Sears price?

  I have NOT used a Sears unit, just relaying what I was told.  The
Sears unit is very expensive to use or its a pain in the derriere to
use.  You have to use Sears powders that come in the little container
or you use other powders and have to put them in the little
container.  Also the Sears unit is very weak so putting on a second
coat (like a clearcoat) is very difficult, you have to preheat the
part for the second coat and then the powder flows immediately and
you can't fix any problems.

   Harbor Freight unit is a much better buy (can't believe I just
said that) I have been told.

  My choice and recommendation (I know you didn't ask for that) is
the Eastwood Powder gun, hang out in the powder coating forums and
you will see the Eastwood hobby gun seems to have less problems then
the HF unit.  Of course you can buy almost 2 HF units for one
Eastwood unit.  The Eastwood gun is also the most powerful of the 3
so a second coat is usually not a problem, 3rd coat is.  That really
is the big difference between cheap powder guns and the $3,000
professional guns, the electrical charge that cause the attraction of
the powder to the part, ok lots of other differences too but that is
the big one, I do like shooting from a hopper though and the hobby guns can't.

  Be careful with powder coating, the normal routine is to buy the
cheapest gun you can find, the move up to the Eastwood hobby gun,
then upgrade that to the Eastwood Pro gun, then update your oven to a
much bigger oven, then finally upgrade to a professional gun, it gets
very addictive and very expensive.

  Mike (who has not sprayed paint in many many years)

Mike Rambour
Bug Writer err...Programmer
       mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car,
then take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/