Re: Weed killer or burn off the weeds?

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Weed killer or burn off the weeds?
From: "Wayne Farrington" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:16:53 -0700
I'm about an hour south of you, Steve.

What exactly is the growing season here? It seems to me stuff never
stops growing around here. I feel like I spend half my life running
weedeaters and like equipment, and the other half keeping all the
equipment running. If I had my way I'd pave over the whole front yard
for more parking... but I don't have my way according to the better
half. I can't tell you how much I detest yard work.

What is granular pre-emergent?

As far as just adding more gravel, based on my recent experience I'm not
sure that will really help. I put in two new gravel walkways out back
and went to great pains to make sure every square inch was covered with
thick weedcloth before adding the gravel. Guess what, 6 months later the
walkways are full of grass sprouts, thick prickly weeds etc. I guess the
weeds are just growing in the gravel mixture. A lot of good the
weedblock does.

Moisture content of the weed is a good point as well. I can see how many
of the thicker weeds may not burn away without torching it for 5 minutes
each.

Thanks
Wayne