generator rating requirements/brands?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: generator rating requirements/brands?
From: scott.hall@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:51:50 +0000
I think I tried this last summer, but I went to buy one about a month ago, and
that was useless, so I'll try (here) again:

I want to buy a standby generator for my house.  we were without power for
about three weeks total last year, and I'd like to avoid that this year.  so, I
added up all the breakers in the breaker box, and started shopping.

the house is all-electric (no gas stove or water heater) and water comes from a
well, powered by an electric pump (so no power means basically that we have to
move out).  I want to power the whole house, like there was no interruption.
if I'm going to have to spend, I'd at least like to do it once and do it right.

I've basically been told a different requirement by each of the people I've
seen/called.  one guy told me I could get away with a 6500kW, while another
told me no less than 40kW would do.  the reason I shouldn't just use the
breakers added up seems to be that in reality everything won't run at once (the
lower rating peoples' story) or that starting amperage/power requirements are
drastically higher than running requirements (the 40kW guy).

now, I appreciate that when the a/c kicks on (or the fridge, etc.) it draws
more power at first, however, it'd still trip the breaker if it out-drew it,
even at start-up, right?  and I really don't think (with my luck) that the
appliances won't at least once kick on all at the same time, so the low end
should be out as well.

or am I nuts?  ee was long time ago, and it was more theory anyway.  I've since
forgotten what the breakers added up to, but it is 200 amp service.  anybody
want to hazard a guess as to what size I should just cough up for an be done
with it?

and finally, I think I'd like an american diesel engine and an american genset,
because I don't know if the chinese stuff will have support, but I'm, pretty
sure I can have a ford or detroit diesel motor rebuilt, or get parts to do it
myself.  on the other hand, I'm told that the american stuff puts out 'bad'
power than I wouldn't want to run into my house/computer/delicate electric
appliances.  I assume I can buy some sort of regulator or surge supressor, but
dude (trying to sell me a new chinese model) says no, power spike from big
american generator will go past a regulator and kill it and the a/c
compressor/computers/t.v.s as well.

I know we've got ees here, and someone has to have done this--and you're not
trying to sell me something.  any help?  pretty please, before we get a storm
and I have to rent a hotel for three weeks again?

thanks.

scott