Auto Scanners

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Auto Scanners
From: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 16:23:34 -0400 (EDT)
I know this topic has been discussed here before, but I can't remember any
of the advice. :(.

What's a good scan tool for automobiles?   The current pressing need is for
an OBD II car ('01 Subaru Outback), but I also have a '91 Nissan 240SX and
a '91 Vette (computer at least, the engine is in an El Camino)

I'd like to get something that can read codes and reset the Check Engine
Light for OBD II at a minimum.  After that, I'd like something that could
do the other cars, and finally it would be nice if it could also connect to
a PC (I'd even be interested in stuff that only works with a PC - i.e. no
internal screen)

        Sears currently has a couple of sale: the Actron Autoscanner  CP9135
(Sears PN 47059) and the EQUUS 1003   (Sears Part # 20895).  iThe EQUUS has
a USB connector but neither mention working with OBD I.

        Thanks,

                Tim