RE: Auto tie-downs

To: "Steve Hammatt, Mount Vernon WA USA" <gsteve@hammatt.com>,
Subject: RE: Auto tie-downs
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:32:19 -0400
Steve Hammatt wrote:

> Instead of tying from the axels to the
> floor, I'm planning to snug around each tire
> and attach to 2 D-rings per wheel, one fore
> and the other aft of each wheel.  Rather than
> use a wheel net,

I know you said no wheel net, but this place:
<http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idcategory=24&cu
rPage=1&sortField=sortorder>

has a nice selection of wheel tie-downs (including "remote" ratchet
versions for cars with tight clearance) that come in all kinds of sizes.
They also have straps with a "spreader bar" that go over large tires
(like dragster slicks) that just have straps over the tire and not
around it (i.e. a net).

There's also these ones from Northern Tool:
<http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?st
oreId=6970&productId=12102&R=12102>

Personally, I'd go with a wheel net if at all possible as it would be
the system that would ensure that the strap can't slip off the tire and
would hold the car down directly by the tires.

Tim Mullen