Re: gate or ball valve for house water lines?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gate or ball valve for house water lines?
From: Richard Beels <beels@technologist.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 15:08:47 -0400
Ball valves all the way.

Someone pointed out that they can be tricky to adjust flow, which is
true if you don't practice a bit.  It helps to take an uninstalled
one and while looking through the ends, manipulate the handle to
figure out the "crank angle/flow rate curve" in your mind.

One thing that's annoying is the long handles can be nudged and then
the flow starts.  I replaced many of the handles with shorter handles
that are 'balanced' across the pivot point of the valve.  I can't
think of the names but you turn them with the thumb & forefinger in a
winding motion (like an oven timer).

At 08-29-2006 at 10:28, Shakespearean monkeys danced on Mark Andy's
keyboard and said:

>Howdy,
>
>So what's the general group think on which type of valve to choose
>for house water lines?  Gate (I think they are... The ones with the
>little handwheel) or 1/4 turn ball valves?
>
>I _hate_ having all these old valves in our house (built in the
>50's) that can't be shut off /on without leaking around the
>stem.  Don't talk to me about tightening packing nuts either... On
>the old valves, I can tighten the damn things until I think I'm
>going to snap something and they still leak a little.
>
>Are the 1/4 turn ball valves better in this respect?  Basically I
>want a valve I can leave fully on or fully off for 30 years then
>need to shut it off and expect it to work flawlessly.
>
>Any pointers?

Cheers!