Re: Frozen Lug nuts

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Frozen Lug nuts
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 12:07:19 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Michael Godley wrote:
> Went to get new rear tires on my Jeep (94 Grand Cherokee) and they (NTB)
> could not get the wheels off as one lug nut on each side defied their
> most powerful air guns and hand wrenches.
>
> The real mechanic is on vacation until next weekand the store manager
> said they would try heat but would probably need to drill out the stud
> and replace.
>
> Any ideas on what I might try in the interim.  I was thinking of
> drilling a small hole in the rounded head of the chromed lug...they are
> recessed in to the alloy wheels....and soaking with PB blaster for a
> couple of days.
>
> Your thoughts

I've never yet met a lug stud that wouldn't snap with a long cheater bar.
If its the stud->nut interface that's frozen, use an impact socket (or at
least a 6 sided socket), breaker bar, and maybe a piece of pipe.  With
enough leverage, _something_ will snap, and most likely it will be the lug
stud (which will need to be replaced in any event).

A cheater like this will, IME, provide more "force" than an impact gun
will, btw.  When you need to break something like this, use handtools, not
the air tools.

Mark