Re: Measuring tool recommendations?

To: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Measuring tool recommendations?
From: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 19:43:25 -0800 (PST)
--- PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to request a couple tool upgrades for my
> shop, that I can request
> for xmas.  I'm looking at a decent set of sliding
> dial calipers, something
> metal.  I would assume anything from Starrett, but
> that's probably the upper
> limit of the price range.  Is getting something with
> a digital readout going
> to be a risk these days for accuracy and breakage?
> I might be using them in
> the cold too, which makes me wonder if they readout
> will work OK - probably
> safe to stay with the dial readout I'm guessing....
>
> Also looking for a nice dial indicator, something
> with a magnetic, flexible
> arm/base.
>
> Basically I'm wondering if some of the brands that
> can be found on Amazon.com
> are reliable - to try and make the buying process
> easy for the purchaser...
>
> Thanks!
> PJ

Well, PJ,
I've probably bought every variety under the sun for
my crew.  At least 50 over the years, most digital.

Lost battery doors, corroded terminals, broken
displays are not uncommon w/the very convenient
digital models.

In the end, the one I always grab is the cheap, Enco
Chinese dial caliper.  None of the above problems and
after $9.99 and 20 years, still checks well against my
blocks.

Does the job if you're not afraid to check the
calibration occasionally.
Charlie