RE: Measuring tool recommendations?

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Measuring tool recommendations?
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:06:46 -0500
Gerald Brazil wrote:

> do you know the definition of an engineer? He is a guy who
> measures something to the nearest ten thousands of an inch,
> marks it with a piece of chalk, and cuts it with a torch.

That's clever, but the more realistic version of a modern engineer is a
guy that takes a series of measurements to the nearest 0.25 inch,
multiplies everything out on a calculator displaying 10 decimal digits,
and comes up with a requirement to the nearest .0001 of an inch.

It's something that was beat into our heads back when I was in
Engineering School (and even used a slide rule).  You results are only
accurate to the tolerance of the most accurate measurement.

That seems to have been forgotten once calculators came along and
replaced slide rules.

Tim Mullen - used to was I couldn't even spell inganir, now I are
one....