Re: small, inexpensive, good tablesaw

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: small, inexpensive, good tablesaw
From: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 20:09:35 -0800 (PST)
--- Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com> wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I find myself in need of a small/portable
> inexpensive table saw.  Anyone
> got any recommendations?
>
> Mostly I want it for stuff like cutting down trim
> boards or other 'not
> quite rough carpentry' tasks vs. fine woodworking.
> Portability is fairly
> important, though obviously I don't expect it to be
> as easy to lug around
> as a skilsaw or whatever.
>
> Harbor Freight and the like is ok as well, provided
> the tool works well.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mark

Mark,
Years ago I bought a King Feng Fu (I'm not making this
up) from Builders' Square Or HD for $36.00-marked down
from $52.00.  Ten inches of cheap love.

It is extremely portable, but having no mass to speak
of, requires some simple means of stopping it from
walking about.  I use to have my kids hold it down
while I ripped.  I now bolt it in place on a folding
work bench.

With a good blade and some careful set-up (square up
the blade and fence, replace the miter gauge with
something, anything that works),  it does the job for
me when I need a portable solution.

I do not use it for anything but ripping, now.

I can't imagine Harpo Fright has anything worse than
the fabulous King Feng Fu.

But, I've been wrong before.

Good Luck and watch your fingers,
Charlie