Maintenance

To: "Shop-Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Maintenance
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:08:21 -0800
Sometimes we get a graphic reminder that it's not a good idea to neglect simple
maintenance on our machinery ...

Tonight, I was servicing my Stag.  Needed to take the rear wheels off after bit,
so I flipped on the air compressor, and went on about greasing U-joints.  Darn,
need a long grease zerk and I can't find one ... Didn't pay much attention to
the compressor, until I noticed it was making a funny noise and, now that I
think about it, running for a long time.  Smelled funny, too, like something was
too hot.  Walked over and looked at the pressure gauge on the tank ... it's at
the peg !  Turned off the switch on the compressor, it kept right on running !

So, I pulled the plug out of the wall.  Then I got to wondering why the safety
valve hadn't made a racket ... when I touched it, some kind of dirt flew out of
the opening and it screamed for a good minute !

When was the last time YOU checked your compressor safety valve ?

Randall