Re: maglite led replacements?

To: scott.hall@comcast.net,<shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: maglite led replacements?
From: "David C." <cavanadd@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 00:58:52 -0800
At 05:29 AM  12/31/2006  +0000, scott.hall@comcast.net wrote:
>I know we talked about this briefly before, but I was looking for
>experience in replacing the existing incandescent bulbs in my
>mondo-maglights with leds.  googling gets me one kit that can't be used in
>lights greater than 3-D (mine are 4-D) and one touts it's machined base as
>a great heat-sink, etc., etc.
>
>basically, anybody do this, and which one did you use, or do I get to be
>the guinea pig?

You could get one of these:
http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48065431&parent_category_rn=4500595

or http://tinyurl.com/y74sgc

They are available at Walmart for about nine bucks and they work in all C/D
cell Maglites from two to six cell.  I got a couple of them.  They work ok
but don't put out NEARLY as much light as the standard maglite bulb, but
for close up work, like working around a car at night they would be
fine.  They will also last about forever and make your batteries last a
whole lot longer.

Mag also makes their own upgrade
http://www.action-lights.com/flashlights/maglite/led/led-upgrade-module.asp
but I haven't tried it yet.  It's around $18, and I suspect it's a lot
brighter than the Night Ize version.

BTW the Night Ize upgrade for the Mini Mag light is great.  I have
converted all of mine over to them.
http://tinyurl.com/yymamc
Dave C