Re: Shop lighting ... (again)

To: Lee Daniels <lee@automate-it.com>, shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Shop lighting ... (again)
From: Charlie Schlismann <racegt6@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:06:45 -0800 (PST)
--- Lee Daniels <lee@automate-it.com> wrote:

> Here are the parameters:
>
>  o I want a lot of light, fluorescent tubes
> preferred.
>  o Temperatures here (Houston area) don't often get
> below freezing, but I do
> want good light in cold weather.
>  o I want high quality fixtures but replacement
> tubes that are economical to
> run and replace.
>.
>
> But mainly I just want to spread a lot of light
> around in the garage/shop.
>
> Comments?
>  - Lee

Lee,

A lot of things to consider here.  I like lots of
light, too.

I use 96" T12 HO (110 watts) mounted up high in the
shop that pays the IRS and provides the bling for my
wife.  Expensive outlay, but provides tons of even
light for employees doing critical work.  Outlast
crappy four-footers.

My garage and basement have a few banks of dual 48"
daylight fixtures.  Fabulous light.

The shop that supports our LBC's and formula cars was
underlamped with a similar set-up and is converted to
96" T12 HO daylight set up.  Lots of light.

Doing it right takes a little analysis.  Height of
fixtures (law of inverse squares), reflectivity of
ceiling (or lack thereof), walls and even the floor
all matter.  Even the reflector itself and whether or
not there is a plastic diffuser under the tubes have
an significant effect.

My priorities were 1)lumens, 2)lumens, 3) color
temperature, 4) CRI,  5) operating costs and
6) hum/interference. I am sensitive to CRI (color
rendering index, or how accurately colors are
reproduced) but gave up some to get more lumens.
Besides, I don't paint often.  Cold start was a given.

HO and VHO are generally tolerant of cold as are some
other types.  Your personal research will tell you
what's best for you in this respect.

Some small, but important details:  Our race shop has
a 16 foot door.  Weather permitting, that door is
open.  Lots of nearly daylight temperature light makes
it much easier on the eyes when transitioning from
shop to outdoors when working in both lights.

Consider separate circuits and not just for economics.
 I turn off my welding area lamps and turn on a weaker
lamp set because my high end auto darkening helmet was
triggered by the HO lamps making the auto-dark feature
always-dark.

Electronic ballast is more efficient and carries other
benefits.

Have fun and don't be too cheap,
Charlie