Re: Shop lighting ... (again)

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shop lighting ... (again)
From: Rush <jdrush@enter.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 19:52:35 -0500
Lee, the trick to great distribution of shop lighting is to install a
few, flush mounted, vertical fixtures in the wall. You don't need many
fixtures to make the undercar area as bright as overhead. Two per car
bay will normally do. Make sure the fixtures are designed for flush
mounting.

I agree with the other posters who suggesting investing in "daylight"
color bulbs. They are amazing in that you eventually don't even think
about that you are in a fluorescent-ly lit space.

The downside to vertical lights is; they do steal useful wall space and
need to be kept unblocked by ephemera. Put them on a separate circuit
because they can be annoying, based on what you are doing. But when you
are working under that car, you'll be thanking me. :)

Jon

Randall wrote:
> My garage is full of 8' standard T12 2-bulb fixtures, with an extra 4' T12
> over the bench and a couple of smaller lamps in dark corners.  All magnetic
> ballasts and cool white.  Cheap (at least initially) and effective.  Used to
> be the 8' bulbs were actually cheaper than 4', although I haven't checked in
> awhile, as they also seem to last a lot longer.

Did you mean fixtures or bulbs are cheaper? I've found 8' bulbs to be
more than twice as expensive as 4' bulbs. Plus the selection of color
temperatures is much wider in 4' bulbs. Maybe I shop at the wrong places.