Re: An off-topic question....

To: "shop-talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: An off-topic question....
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:01:56 -0500
At 05:46 PM 1/18/2007 -0500, Gerald Brazil wrote:

>I listen to a certain distant radio station on the Internet. I have a
>problem with the program cutting in and out and when it cuts out, the little
>dialog box says "Buffering"....after a little time I get the signal back and
>it will last for a while longer and then cut out again.
>
>What is going on? What is buffering? I am sure there must be some setting
>that I need to change to allow it to stream without interruptions.

Gerald,

Buffering is when the computer retrives data "pre fetch" before it starts
playing it.  Typically it will try and capture say 1 minute of data before
it starts playing.  Then it starts. This is so that theoretically you don't
get the problem you are having.

On some programs you can change it, but chances are that the amount of
data your computer is "pre fetching" is not the problem.  The problems is
more likely at the source.  They have a limited bandwidth.  So they can't
send the data as fast as it plays.

Or the problem could be your ISP is limiting the amount of data that they
transfer or that you have a bad connection between you and the source.
Somewhere along the line, data is being held up, and you are allowed to
play the data until your computer runs out.  Then you have to wait until
the computer gets more data.

Hope this helps.

John

Va. Beach, Va