Re: garage door opener advice

To: Steve Shipley <shiples@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: garage door opener advice
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 18:10:08 -0500
Steve asks...

>Anyone have an opener that's been trouble free for say...10 years?
>Or is that too much to expect?

Steve, I have 4 openers. 2 are from the early eighties and two from within
the past 10 years. (one is a heavy duty commercial job for a 12 X 12
door.)  Not a problem with any of them.  Note, two of them came from my
old house when I moved so they have been remounted here.

I work on buddies GDO and I can say that the main failures is the
driveline. (Sprockets, pulleys, belts or chains.)

I don't think I have ever seen one with an electrical problem.  Have you
checked the wiring to your GDO?  I think you may have a bad neutral,
missing ground, or something weird like that if you are burning up boards.

Inch

"We all know we're dying, And there's no sign of a parachute."
     Tori Amos