RE: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 23:06:38 -0700
> Has anyone tried one of the new compact fluorescent light
> bulbs in a standard drop light?

I haven't, but I do have a "designed from scratch" fluorescent drop light;
and I really like it.  With 2 of those U-shaped 13w tubes, it's plenty
bright; and so far has put up with all the abuse I've given it.  The tubes
are mounted in rubber at both ends.

> Given that they contain mercury, should I be worried about breakage?

The total amount is very small, probably not worth worrying about.  I
wouldn't want to break one under my nose every day for a year; but once in
awhile isn't going to hurt you, IMO.

Randall