RE: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Compact fluorescent light bulbs in a drop light
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 10:09:27 -0700
>  no more hours than you use a
> drop light, why
> > would one want to use a "coil bulb"? *

Heat is the main reason, for me.  Can't count how many times I burned myself
on my old incandescent bulb before switching.

Second, IMO, is because a fluorescent won't break if it accidentally gets
wet.  My "designed from scratch" drop light is actually sealed; but even an
open "curly" bulb will usually not break if it gets wet.  One drop on an
incandescent that has been on for more than a few minutes, and it's history.

Third is glare.  Working in tight quarters, it's sometimes necessary to have
the drop light between me & what I'm working on.  Invariably it turns so I'm
looking at the bulb ... fluorescents are easier to look at directly (because
they emit less light per square inch).

Forth is reliability (over and above #2).  Even "rough service"
incandescents won't take much of a drop; and it's a PITA having to crawl
out, clean my hands, and go hunt for another bulb while I'm in the middle of
something.  I think I've changed a fluorescent bulb once since switching to
them over 15 years ago. (Also changed the drop light, since the first one
was too big & bulky.)

Randall