Re: [Shop-talk] Metric Hardware

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Metric Hardware
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 13:58:14 -0400
On 7/6/07, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> > It's actually more complicated than that, though. The bolts that we
> > call "Whitworth" on our LBCs aren't really. They're British Standard
> > Whitworth (BSW), or British Standard Fine (BSF).
>
> Except the ones that are British Association (which on a TR3 is the majority
> of the "Whitworth" threads).
>
> > So a 1/4-20 whitworth bolt has a head that you'd
> > find on a 5/16 BSW or BSF bolt,
>
> Are you sure about that ? My understanding is that a 1/4 BSW bolt has a
> larger head than a 1/4 BSF bolt.
> IOW, BSW is effectively the same as the earlier "Whitworth" (in much the
> same way as UNC is the same as NC).
>
> See, for example,
> http://www.internationalcockpitclub.org.uk/articles/article_threads.htm

It's my understanding that BS 1083:1965 says BSW and BSF bolts and
nuts of the same diameter have the same size hex.  I don't have a copy
of the standard, though, and I'm relying on Industrial Press to get
things right.  There's a table of sizes on page 1572 of the 27th
edition.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com