Re: [Shop-talk] Metric Hardware

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Metric Hardware
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 11:49:08 -0400
On 7/9/07, Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com> wrote:
> > >It's my understanding that BS 1083:1965 says BSW and BSF
> > bolts and nuts
> > >of the same diameter have the same size hex. I don't have a copy of
> > >the standard, though, and I'm relying on Industrial Press to
> > get things
> > >right. There's a table of sizes on page 1572 of the 27th edition.
> >
> > BS 1083:1951 and 916:1953 gives BSW and BSF bolts as
> > identical in dimensions except for TPI. Source Kemp's
> > Engineers Year Book 1962.
>
> Thank you, David and Nick. That clears up a long-held misunderstanding on
> my part.

It's also possible that there were people making coarse-threaded bolts
with the larger heads even after the standards changed.  There was a
market -- maintenance of all those old machines, steam engines,
locomotives and what have you with the old bolts, and probably some
new production of existing designs.  Given the proclivity of British
industry to use the part that was at hand, even if it wasn't the right
one, it wouldn't surprise me to find big-headed bolts on a LBC.

--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com