[Shop-talk] Running electrical circuit though a foundation

Subject: [Shop-talk] Running electrical circuit though a foundation
From: "Bill Gilroy" <wmgilroy@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:49:04 -0700
For some reason it was decide that we need a light in the front yard on a
pole (lost that battle).  I need to run a circuit to the pole from the
inside of my house.  I could run a conduit through the wood part of the
outside wall but that would be ugly.  I think my best choice would be to put
a hole in the foundation, below the grade and run a conduit through that
hole to the light pole.  I have a couple of questions:

1.       What is the base way to drill a hole for a 1" conduit through a
poured concrete foundation?  Hammer drill rental?

2.       I think the best solution is to run a conduit the whole length and
then run 3 conductors inside the conduit.  Any opinions?

3.       Anyone know what the code is about burying conduits?  Need to
surround the conduit with gravel?

4.       What type of conduit is good acceptable for being buried?

Anything else I might have forgotten?

Thanks,

Bill