Re: [Shop-talk] tool chest recommendations?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] tool chest recommendations?
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 23:40:08 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007, Mike Frerichs wrote:
> I have what is probably the same stainless steel unit, but from Sam's
> Club. The top and bottom together are 61" tall, 41" wide, and 18" deep,
> not including side and front handles.  It's fairly heavy duty, comes
> with a pre-cut rubber mesh material for the drawer bottoms, and the
> drawers glide smoothly.  I saw one in Sam's this morning for, I believe,
> $687.  Sometimes they have an even larger set for $999.
>
> I have no interest in Sam's - in fact they tick me off frequently!  However,
> in this tool box set I am well pleased!

My dad has the Sam's toolbox.  Two things I don't like about it.

First, many of the drawers are not very tall at all.  Large wrenches in
'stand up' wrench holders don't fit.

Second, the drawers feel a little flimsy compared to my mechanic buddies'
'real' tool chests.

In the same price range I like the feel of the Harbor Freight one a little
better.

Mark