Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!

To: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Of mice and...Jeeps!
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 09:10:14 -0500
The air cooled VW engines had a filter screen as an oil filter. I don't
see how it could have been anything centrifugal, the oil came straight
down at the middle of the filter screen and the other side of the screen
was open to the sump. The screen was sort of  dome shaped and the oil
inlet entered the top of the dome.

It's been decades since I had one apart, but that's how I remember it.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Randall:
>> *No oil filter on a '74 VW Beetle.*
>>

> Didn't they have that weird centrifugal thing, though ?  I've only read
> about Beetle motors, but my old Honda 4-stroke motorcycle had a centrifugal
> filter.  Seemed to work pretty good, judging by the amount of crud that
> built up in it.
>
> Randall

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com