Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:19:03 -0700
Doug Braun wrote:
> For really nasty gunky parts, especially those with a
> cement-like crust of road dust and dried grease,
> Easy-Off Heavy-Duty Original Oven Cleaner (in the
> yellow spray can) works better than anything else I
> have ever tried.

The good stuff is basically caustic soda (lye) which can also be found
in Red Devil Lye drain cleaner, for one.

If your spouse catches you heating a big bucket of lye on the backyard
grill to clean parts in, and takes offense at the prospect, don't blame me.

Don't put anything aluminum in there or you likely won't see it again.
I once had a cheap stainless-steel kettle that I used for this, after
about three hours the potmetal rivets that held the handles on dissolved
and I heard the handles one by one go 'clunk' as they fell off.

John.