Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Parts Washers
From: "Karl Vacek" <kvacek@ameritech.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:39:52 -0500
Amazingly, that's also the solution to removing pinstriping and lettering
from modern automotive finishes.  When we bought our '93 Suburban, the
original owners had had their names lettered onto the doors, right below the
windows and on the back doors too (yeah, I know, and this is Chicago
too...).

I stopped by my favorite body guy to see if there was any hope of cheaply
removing their 'customization', and he told me "just use spray Easy-Off.
He's not the type to pull that nasty of a joke, so I tried it and sure
enough it worked like a charm.

The reason it works in that case is that most new automobile finishes are
quite impervious to most garden-variety caustics, but sign painting and hand
pinstriping are still done with old-fashioned synthetic enamel, and it's
readily softened by the lye in oven cleaner.

Karl