Re: [Shop-talk] Dishwasher - leaky pump

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Dishwasher - leaky pump
From: Wayne <wmc_st@xxiii.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:04:37 -0400
Jack Brooks wrote:
> Thirteen year old dishwasher with a leaky pump.  This is the first issue we
>
> 1. Pull and possibly repair or replace the pump or buy new.

That old?  replace it.  Who knows what will break next week.

> 2. If I buy new, and the budget is $500-900, what suggestions can you make,
> especially for quieter machines?  It does not have to be whisper quite, as

Check Consumer Reports.  You can subscribe to their online stuff cheaply
and access all the archived reports immediately.  I don't agree with all
their stuff --  Esp on some electronics and high end specialty stuff
they're clueless.  But I think they're OK on appliances.

My opinions:  GE sucks, and I hate their corporation.  Maytag, though
now owned by Whirlpool, still builds Maytag designs and they suck.
Whirlpool and their brands other than Maytag (Kitchen Aid, et al) ROCK!
Import brands (Bosch and what not) may work well, but have crappy
reliability records. Fisher-Paykel in particular have some products that
appear to have innovative designs, but are supposedly quite failure prone.

And if you're in the market for laundry appliances, I can't sau enough
good stuff about the Whirlpool Duet washer  :)  But that's another post...

   -Wayne