Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] trailer advice needed
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 14:34:25 -0500
John T. Blair wrote:

> I'd suggest that you get a tandem wheel trailer and
> electric brakes.
>
> I've towed MGBs and VWs on a single axle trailer before,
> and had it take off on me.  It will start swaying back
> and forth.

I'll second the tandem wheel recommendation.

I've managed to tow on a single axle trailer without brakes,
but it did start swaying once or twice on me when I was
heading down hill.  Not pleasant at all.  I wished I had
the electric brakes.

But I will heartily recommend a dual axle.  Nothing like
experiencing a blow out of a tire on a loaded single axle
trailer at 65 MPH on the freeway in heavy traffic to
convince me to make sure that my next car trailer will
be dual axle...  =8-O

By the way, I was limited to the single axle trailer by
the towing limits of the vehicle I had to tow it with
at the time.  My truck can handle a heavier trailer now...

Tim Mullen