Re: [Shop-talk] Geothermal (was:Re: garage heating,

To: "Jim Franklin" <jamesf@groupwbench.org>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Geothermal (was:Re: garage heating,
From: "David Scheidt" <dmscheidt@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:33:58 -0400
On 10/18/07, Jim Franklin <jamesf@groupwbench.org> wrote:
> On Oct 18, 2007, at 11:41 AM, Paul Mele wrote:

 in my shop).

> How does the ground temperature not eventually reach equilibrium with
> the shop? I can't see the transfer of heat in dirt being fast enough
> to absorb a summer's worth of 85+ temps.

You have to install a big enough loop to make sure.  How big that is
depends on local soil conditions.  Dry soil is a less efficient than
wet, for instance.  The actual pipe is usually encased in bentonite to
make sure that it has good contact with the soil.

Ground source heat pumps are a particularly good match for in-floor
radiant heat, by the way.  The huge area of the floor allows that heat
source be much closer to the temperature of the area heated (or
cooled), than a point source (like a steam radiator or forced hot air
vent) is.  The huge thermal mass of a concrete floor helps too.  Open
the over head door, and you let all the heated air out quickly, but
the mass of the floor can reheat the air quickly, without dropping in
temperature too much.
--
David Scheidt
dmscheidt@gmail.com