Re: [Shop-talk] Geothermal (was:Re: garage heating,

To: "Shop Talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Geothermal (was:Re: garage heating,
From: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@aceweb.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:25:00 -0400
Something else to remember is that the ground isn't isolated.  If the ground
coils were set into a rock that was isolated from everything, it would reach
an equilibrium, and the system would stop working.

The heat that is pumped into the ground, or taken out for heating in the
winter, moves through the ground.  It is dispersed with a little time.

If you installed a unit with too small a coil area underground, you could
heat saturate the immediate area around the coils, causing the system to
work poorly, and even to not work at all.  This is essentially the same
problem with too small a window air conditioner on a hot day.  It just can't
transfer the heat.

I don't know how old this is, but for some years, they've been installing
them with deeply drilled holes.  I know somewhere back in the distant past
they used to be installed as a grid over a large area, just a few feet down.
Now they do deep drilling, and run the line(s) down deeply with minimal
horizontal footprint.  This may be a decades old change, I simply don't
know.

I know of several underground heating systems, and they all work very well.
If I were to be considering installing a new heating system, I'd be very
inclined to look into these systems.