Re: [Shop-talk] Remote electric meter readout

To: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Remote electric meter readout
From: Pat Horne <roadsters@hornesystemstx.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 19:52:21 -0500
Doug,

Cool device, but I have no experience with it. A month or so ago I
bought a P3 International "kill A Watt "  monitor that plugs into a 120V
outlet and gives you:
Voltage
Amps
Watts
Volt Amps
Power Factor
Frequency
KWH

It cost about $20 on the net, I think I got it off eBay. It is rated for
up to 15A
Their web site is http://www.p3international.com

There are a couple of things I don't like about it, the display is not
back-lit, and when plugged into a duplex outlet, it covers up the second
outlet.

I've been plugging lots of things in around the house to see how much
they add to my electric bill.

Peace,
Pat

Thusly spake Doug Braun:
> Hello,
>
> I always have electricity bills higher than I expect,
> and I've always wanted something that would tell me
> how much electricity my house was using at any given
> moment.  (Then I could tell if my air compressor or
> other shop tools were a significant contributor).
>
> I thought I would have to buy something that had to be
> attached to the main power feed to the house,
> involving the services of an electrician (and $$$).
> But then
> I stumbled across a web site for an interesting
> gadget:
>
>   http://www.save-electricity.ca/
>
> This has a battery-powered optical pickup that
> attaches to your electric meter and detects the
> rotation of the disk inside it.  Then it transmits a
> signal to a desktop display that shows the current
> power usage and other statistics.  It's $139, which
> seems quite reasonable.
>
> Has anyone ever seen or bought one of these?  Has
> anyone ever heard of something similar for sale?
> Ideally I'd like a system with a computer interface
> that would let me log data, put it on a web page,
> etc., etc.
>
> Doug

Pat Horne, Owner, Horne Systems
(512) 797-7501 Voice            5026 FM 2001
www.hornesystemstx.com