Re: [Shop-talk] Remote electric meter readout

To: 'Shop-Talk List' <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Remote electric meter readout
From: PJ McGarvey <pj_mcgarvey@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:36:40 -0400
I have a wireless reader on my house, so I'll have to do some research on this
when time allows

My hope is that they're using some sort of encryption, or at least
authentication, b/c what would prevent someone from broadcasting a dummy
signal, announcing a lower number of used watts than what is actually being
used, in essence stealing from the power company.  I'm guess it's more of a
problem for large commercial buildings where there is more to gain from
under-reporting usage.

Not to mention the privacy concerns if this type of system is always on,
always reporting usage, anyone could gather information about you to determine
habits, if they are trying to break in.

I think their have been cases of the police using dramatic changes in power
usage to detect things like illegal marijuana growing (all the lights needed)
so this would be a good way to hide an operation.

PJ
(Info security guy)