Re: [Shop-talk] Oil drain pan

To: "Nolan" <foxtrapper@aceweb.com>, "shop-talk"
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil drain pan
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@ngc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 11:04:41 -0500
Nolan wrote:

> Interesting thread to follow.  I tried a pan like
> these once, never again.
> The hot oil splattering off the flat surface was
> not pleasant.

Hmmmmm...

I've had the opposite experience.  Every time I pulled out an open top
container, it would tend to slosh over the top and spill.

My Blitz has a slopped (toward the center "drain") surface, not "flat".
If I drop the oil pan plug, it doesn't drop to the bottom of the hot oil
in the pan (there's a grid in the drain to keep if from falling
through).  And the oil never sloshes out.

Maybe the difference is that the Blitz pans are a couple of feet across,
so it catches everything.  I've had a small rectangular catch pan in the
past that never worked right since it was too small.

I do have a problem when I change oil in my truck - the drop is so high
that the oil stream tends to get blown around by the wind, but that
happens with any pan.  I cured that problem with one of those Fram "Sure
Drains" that uses a screw on hose to drain the pan - no more splatter.

Tim Mullen