Re: [Shop-talk] WOW,

To: shop-talk@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] WOW,
From: Carscarscarz@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 02:17:29 EDT
I, too, have found some pretty good items at HF. Sunday I was in HF and found
what looked like a too-good-to-be-true dial caliper for $20:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=5658

I had to buy as they seemed surprisingly well made. I checked them against my
Starrett  model 120A-6:

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalog/ItemAttributes.asp?ItemID=230&Group
ID=346&TableNum=1

They both agree on all the drills, ball bearings and feeler gauges I checked.
 A very happy turn. Even the case is reasonably well done.

What really really surprised me are the feelers.  Of six sets the three
Craftsman  read slightly thick on most of the sizes I checked, especially over
0.015". The other brands are pretty much correct.

So for $20 I got good dial calipers. Now I need to get a mic to recheck the
feelers...

~Steve
Steve Levine
Studio City, CA